I never would’ve guessed I would get in a fight over diapers, but that time has finally come. The question is easy – cloth or disposable? What started with your mother and I agonizing about diapers for two hours turned into an issue about my stubbornness.
I was all about the disposables – my argument for the first 90 minutes focused around the singular concept of convenience. You buy diapers from a store, you use them, you throw them away. There won’t be a bag of poop-stained cloths sitting in a bag waiting to be washed at a high temperature using a special detergent. Nor will one have to buy liners or more detergent. That was my line and I stuck to it. I didn’t care to read or hear the other side.
Then in the last 30 minutes of our little spat, it became apparent to me we weren’t going to sleep happy unless I changed my tune, which I slowly did. There’s always a lot of inertia when it comes to admitting a mistake. I’m a proud guy. So I started reading about cloth diapers and here’s what stuck…you would go with cloth if:
- you have concerns about chemicals in disposable diapers touching your baby’s bum because you’re probably a Wholefoods-loving, organic-food-only hippy.
- you’re concerned about the environment and the amount of nonbiodegradable disposable diapers the world accumulates each year, which is a lot. But what about all the electricity and water from a laundry machine running 24/7? And cloth diapers aren’t necessarily biodegradable either.
- you wanted to give yourself a potentially easier time when it comes to potty training since they will feel the wetness in the cloth.
- you hate convenience because you’ll have to change the diaper every two hours (which a parent should do to avoid diaper rash), but disposables allow for longer intervals.
- you’re concerned about money because it’s cheaper to go down the cloth route. Using cloth diapers is cheaper, but don’t forget to account for a higher utility bill, the cost of detergent, and liners!
This is how I feel when I have to think about diapers now.
So, Fauchon, what’s it going to be? Do you want to wear disposable or cloth diapers? Do you prefer convenience? Or do you prefer to preserve the environment? Whose team are you going to join? Can I count on you in my fight for convenience? Are you willing to be the good cop to my bad cop when it comes to dealing with your mother about these issues?