There are a million and one reasons why your mom and I are hesitant about kids (for sampling, see here), but there are a million and one reasons why your mom and I do want kids. If anyone’s keeping score, that still leaves us with status quo – not quite ready for the vasectomy (why waste money on condoms or emotional capital from birth control-induced mood swings?), but neither of us are exactly going all out with the mating rituals.
Regardless, it’s hard to deny some of the PRO-baby signs:
- Baby Talk – anything baby-related has infiltrated our thoughts and conversations. While taking a bath, your mother has wondered aloud, “Do you think this is what a baby feels like in the womb?” And look at me now, I’m writing about why we want to have kids.
- Adult Talk – “When are you having kids?” or some variation, subtle or not, is about as annoying as “How’s married life?” (Yet I’m guilty of asking that question to every person I know who’s recently gotten married too!). In any case, maybe if we had a kid, people would stop asking.
- They’re Everywhere – ever notice that once something gets in your head, you feel like you see it everywhere? Baby clothes, baby toys, actual babies, that’s all I see. Even when I look at adults, I wonder what their kids are like or what they were like when they were a kid.
- Curiosity – it’s not exactly creating a character in a game, but something similar. We want to know how he/she turns out. The only difference is if I level up a character and choose the wrong skill tree, I can reload and do it again.
- Irresistible / Lack of Discipline – we’re at the point where “Oh, look at this cute baby [insert anything]” has become “Let’s buy this cute baby [insert anything].” You won’t have to look any further than our own flat right now.
People say no one’s ever ready for kids. I believe it. I know we’ll never be ready. I suppose we’re just looking for that push, that one extra reason so we have a million and two of them.